H Foster & Co Ltd

Head Office Reading Tel: 0113 243 9016
Service provider to the chemical industry

Our Heritage

Fulfilling the needs of both small and large international businesses

In 1870 Joseph Foster founded H Foster Ltd. The original products were manufactured from tallow and wool grease and used in the manufacture of leather and textiles. Gradually, the range of products was increased to include all kinds of lubricants as well as leather and textile oils.

After concentrating on wool grease as its base of raw materials since the early part of the century and with the decline in wool scouring in the West Riding of Yorkshire, there was a return to tallow as a raw material in the 1960’s. In the 1970’s H Foster added to its portfolio the manufacture and marketing of esters made from fatty acids. The range now includes many fatty esters such as oleates, stearates and petrochemicals.

Today’s customers range from the large international companies to the smaller size business and cover industries that include: lubricants, textile (both natural and man made) metal finishing, rubber, plastics, soap-making, cosmetics, candle making, printing inks, and many more.

In 2006 H Foster became a wholly owned subsidiary company of Eggar Holdings, a family owned business established in 1972. The current Managing Director, Simon Eggar, is committed to operating the company in line with the established ethos of customer care which made H Foster such a successful business throughout the times.

Our Cherished Heritage...

1870 - Mr. Joseph H Foster and his son Joseph H Foster founded H Foster. The company specialised in the manufacture of products from tallow and wool grease to supply the leather and textile industries.

1900 - The business moved to 103 Kirkstall Road in Leeds with the third generation of the Foster family Mr. Joseph H Foster at the head.

Mid-1920 - Haulage Company (the first in the area to run tankers) was formed to deliver product in bulk.

1960 - The fourth generation of Fosters leads the company with Messrs. Henry O Foster, J. Chris Foster and Richard M Foster managing the business. Return to tallow as a raw material as the wool business is in decline in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

1970 - Oleochemicals Ltd was formed to manufacture and market esters made from fatty acids produced elsewhere in the group.

1976 - Oleochemicals arranged an agency with Cappelle Frères of Belgium / France (manufacturers of pigments).

2006 - J. Chris Foster and Richard Foster entered into talks with Messrs. P G Eggar and Simon Eggar about a buy-out of the business.

On 1st August 2006 H Foster becomes a wholly subsidiary of Eggar Holdings, with P G Eggar as Chairman, Simon Eggar as Managing Director.

In 2016 Eggar Holdings has been renamed HFoster 1875 Ltd. From 1st September 2016 the majority of the HFoster & Co Ltd business has been transferred to H Foster 1875.

With more than 34 years of experience as a service provider to the Chemical industry, the H Foster’s new management team is committed to follow in the footsteps of its predecessors. The distribution side of H Foster remains at 103 Kirkstall Road, Leeds and the Head Office is based in Theale, Reading, Berkshire.

For product help and advice please call us today on 0113 243 9016

H Foster Images From The Past

A few images illustrating our history...

image 1

Four generations of Fosters with Joseph Foster holding his grandson.

image 2

Bramley Carnival 1st Prize 1912

image 3

Welding tramlines, 103 Kirkstall Road, Leeds

© 2014 H Foster & Co Ltd. Registered in England No: 0582 9773 VAT Registration Number: GB 641 9001 65. All Rights Reservedfooter image
Privacy & Cookies  |  Terms & Conditions
H Foster 1875 Ltd record telephone calls for training, quality control and dispute resolution purposes.